Wednesday, November 5, 2014

I blame them for this crazy obsession!

How my parents have fuelled my kayaking passion...

I know I promised to tell about my Utah Lake/ Provo River trip the next time I posted, I am just feeling pulled instead to write about something different. So that story can wait while I take a different path tonight.

So this is what's on my mind. My Mom and Dad.

Spending some delicious quiet time in my kayak these last couple trips has given me time to think. My thoughts turned to my Mom and Dad. So much of my joy in the wilderness stems from their love of nature that they have shared with me. So much of who I am is because of them. Including this crazy kayaking obsession.

I feel courageous to go out kayaking because I saw my Mom pursue her interests even if she had to do them alone. I remember her out in the front yard practicing her golf swing. On Mondays, her day off, I knew she often went snow skiing. When she wanted to know something she studied hard and mastered the subject.

The other day while I was alone on the Provo River near Utah Lake I sent my mom some pictures by text. I knew she would delight in these ducks, back-side up in the river. They made me laugh and I thought of my mother. She loves birds, especially ducks. And she has a great sense of humor. In her reply she said she wished I had someone to share the experience with instead of being out there alone. I texted back to her that I did. Her! She's always been there for me.

Funny Ducks on the Provo River
 
Although Mom's health has made it rough to get in and out of a kayak lately, there was a time that she was able to go with me. We marvelled together about the way the light looked on the water and laughed as we paddled here and there. I'll always cherish that day of kayaking.
My Beautiful Mom living it up in a kayak!
 
I love being on a lake because growing up, our summer weekends with my Dad were spent at Willard Bay boating and fishing. I fell in love with the deep greens of the lake and the way the sun sparkles on the water. I loved to watch the seagulls fly overhead. I loved the rocky shores. Even though the deep water made me feel nervous, it also enchanted me. I loved how I could see the sun light penetrate deep into that emerald abyss.
Yesterday while talking to my Dad on the phone I was telling him about my latest kayaking adventures. He really listened while I told him of my plans to go out as much as possible and I explained how it fills me. He really listened and it made me feel loved that he took interest in what I really cared about. He said he thought it was great the way I was going out and doing what I loved. We've not always been able to talk like this. Just recently there has been trust enough for me to open up. And what I found was love and encouragement. And a shared love of nature.
My Dear Dad camping at Flaming Gorge.
So, I guess that's it. They are just in my heart and on my mind tonight. I'm thankful to them for passing on their love of nature to me and the confidence to try. I feel so grateful for their love!
Who in your life has influenced you for good? How much of your current joy comes from what others have passed on to you?
Thanks for stopping by and spending some time with me,
LaRayne

 

No comments:

Post a Comment