Monday, November 24, 2014

Chasing the Sun to Sand Hollow - Day 2

Finding the Unexpected

On our 2nd day to Sand Hollow I expected to see more of the same amazing red rock scenery that we saw the day before. I was eagerly anticipating a delicious rerun of yesterday's adventure. I was totally up for that.
But I was wrong. We found the unexpected and it was a whole new experience! Everything looked brand new. Stick with me in this post and I'll show you some surprise treasures we found along the way on Day 2 @ Sand Hollow.

Treasure #1 Great Blue Heron


On Day 1 @ Sand Hollow we saw 2 big, beautiful gray birds perched high on a red rock cliff. They didn't let us get too close before they spread their wide wings and soared away from us. We wondered what they were and wished we could get a better look at them.

When we put in our kayaks the morning of our 2nd day, I noticed the footprint of a bird - a BIG bird. Look at the size compared to my footprint! We were pretty excited! Maybe we'd see those majestic birds again that day.

About half way through our paddle we met our bird friend. We were able to get a little closer than before. I think it was a Great Blue Heron.

I'm so sad that for some reason on the blog these pictures are blurry :( the originals are clear and you can see the beauty of the Great Blue Heron much better than depicted here.

When we were too close for comfort it flew off to some rocks much further from us.






I pulled out my watercolors and, with my kayak nestled against the red rocks in the picture above, I painted the scene before me which included the Great Blue Heron. Can you see him in my painting?





When we first put in our boats on Day 2 we headed to the left of the dock and found a lovely rock garden filled with hidden waterways and coves. It was so beautiful and fun to wind our way through that red rock labyrinth.






Treasure #2 Waterfall in the Desert



As we continued paddling along the shore we were so surprised to find what looked like a stream emptiying into the reservoir. We were delighted to find something so unexpected! We had no idea this existed! We pulled our kayaks up onto the sandy beach and hiked up the red rocks, following the stream.




It cascaded down the red rocks and rushed down to the reservoir through a green oasis in the desert. I was so curious about where this water was coming from. We followed it all the way to the top to find that it was gushing out of a big pipe opening up out of the hillside. So, it didn't have the most romantic source, but the waterfalls tumbling down the red rocks was an amazing treat to find.










Treasure #3 Dramatic Color Up Close

I was surprised to find that I felt a little creeped out as we rounded corners of high red rock cliffs to find the rock plunged deeply into dark, protected waters of coves. The inlets were dark in shadow and the water looked black except for the pale reflections of the opposite cliff.

I felt small and insignificant in my kayak hugged up next to the towering rock walls with black water beneath me and the chill of shade. I would have paddled right past some of these smaller inlet canyons but Des, having just spent some time in one of them said that the reflections were amazing there.

From where I was maybe 15 feet away in the sunshine, the reflections were nothing to hoot about. But I followed her into the shaded cove and just as soon as I glided into the shade the reflections against the still water exploded with color!

The most dramatic oranges and blues I'd seen yet at Sand Hollow. It was like sensory overload. I just couldn't take all that color in fast enough! And my camera barely gives it justice in these pictures.

If I hadn't taken the time (and a little courage) to get a little closer I would have missed it completely!











Treasure #4 Seeing with New Eyes

After exploring everything to the left of the dock, we decided to cross the open channel back to the area we had paddled the day before. We wanted to see the back side of the red rocks again, the area where we felt like we were in a white-water river the day before when the wind blew fiercely whipping up whitecaps.

The difference between the two experiences was immense! It felt like a whole new place!

The first experience was about:
  • adrenalin of hard paddling
  • sound of wind loud in our ears
  • eyes focused on the churning water


This time there was:
  • silence
  • serenity
  • sunshine
  • a whole majestic shoreline that we totally missed the first time!
In our eagerness ( and a little fear!) of getting through that turbulent channel we didn't see beyond the intensity of what was right in front of us and missed the surrounding beauty.


Here is the channel the second time around, calm and picturesque:







There were hidden coves that we didn't even see last time, let alone explore. I'm so glad to have had a second chance! This is what we found:






Even the sheltered side that we spent a lot of time in the day before was different and even more beautiful without the wind. We could see through the crystal water to the looming boulders beneath us and the rocky floor of the canyons.






So, the lesson I went home with from Day 2 @ Sand Hollow was to expect the unexpected. To have a feeling of excited anticipation in my life. A wonder of what is just around the corner. To foster a feeling of hope in the routines of my life, even the things I do all the time. 

I've learned that a place is never the same one day to the next. I can see that in my life each moment can bring new beauty, unexpected surprises even in old places, and new understandings and appreciations. Each moment is a gift.


When have you seen the old with new eyes and been delightfully surprised by the beauty and joy that came when you weren't expecting it?


Thanks for reading today!!! It's nice to connect with you here. Please leave a comment or better yet, sign up with your email to follow my blog. If you like what you read here I'd love for you to share it with your friends. 

My goal is to create a community of people supporting each other in reaching their dreams and living the abundant life :)


In joyful living,
LaRayne













1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed hiking around here before it was a reservoir many years ago with my family. I know my parents, who live down there, were a bit sad that they filled in a fun hiking area with water. But we hiked around it once with water too, and it was so much fun then as well. Now I just need to kayak it! It looks like a beautiful adventure!

    ReplyDelete