Monday, November 10, 2014

Provo River into Utah Lake: Building My Courage

Kayaking Provo River as it pours into Utah Lake...

A couple Saturdays ago I headed off on my own to kayak the Provo River as it empties into Utah Lake. I'd been to this location at Utah Lake State Park a couple times on my bike but never with kayaks. I stopped to scope out the best put-in place. The first one I found was down a steep narrow path to a muddy bank. Not so nice. So I walked up to the little store they have there and talked to a gentleman outside the store sitting in his pick up truck. He worked at the store and asked if he could help me. Oh yes, I needed help and was so grateful for some guidance.

I asked him where the best put-in place was. He pointed out a spot a little farther up the road to a small fishing boat ramp. Perfect. He also offered me lots of good kayaking advice and suggestions for other local places I could go. It was so fun to talk to him! Someone else who shared my love of kayaking and could give me direction about our local waters! Yahoo! One of the things he recommended was the app. Glympse. I'll write about that in another post.

The best thing he did was offer encouragement and a friendly smile. I was a little uncertain as this was only my second time out on my own and the first time kayaking here. People are so great!

The small fishing boat ramp was located just past the brown colored picnic canopy. The other canopies were green. That's how I'll know in the future just where it is again.

 

When I entered my kayak on the water and headed up stream I was immediately welcomed by full blown autumn color on the water.

 


This was the explosion of color I first saw upriver. It just got better!

Here are some of the highlights of the paddle:

  • Perfect mirror reflections of vibrant color on the river and the way the world looked curiously upside down at times near the banks.
  • Several duck friends that were going "bottoms up" that made me laugh right out loud.
  • The delicious silence broken only by bird call, the occasional airplane flying overhead to Provo Airport, and the hushed falling of leaves.

 

Those funny ducks made me laugh!
Planes will occasionally fly right over you on the river near the lake.
There was an eerie moment when I had to pass beneath the road going into the park. It was dark and had lots of spiderwebs and other hanging things dripping from the top. I really didn't want to pass through that.
Scary underpass :( I didn't like it at all.
Because I was paddling as fast as I could, I didn't take time for a good pic. The hanging things were way worse than this pic shows!
But I decidedly brushed aside my nervousness and paddled ahead. In no time I was on the other side where sunshine and a chaos of bird prattle greeted me. The trees just to the left were full a whole community of birds and they were making a lot of noise!
I kept winding my way further up the river, all the while marveling at the stillness and the serenity. I felt a little like Alice in Wonderland looking at the shore because of the perfect upside down reflection. I passed a lone fisherman and a couple in a canoe. I turned back before the river made me because I wanted to have time to explore Utah Lake. Next time I will follow the river as far upstream as I can.
The trip downriver was just as peaceful and beautiful.
Soon the river spilled out into Utah Lake and the scenery dramatically changed. Instead of a secluded canopy of trees, I enter the vastness of wide open water.
Ahh! Incredible open water of Utah Lake.
I'll write about the Utah Lake experience next time, including getting STUCK IN THE MUD!
Before I end, here are some things I learned on this part of the trip:
  1. You are really never alone. There is help, guidance, and encouragement to be found - even if it is from a stranger. People are good and are often happy to help. My new friend in his pick-up truck was so willing to share his knowledge and good suggestions. Sometimes we just have to ask for help and we'll find it. I find this is true with people and with God. His help can come through other people or through increased personal courage. I recieved both that day. Even though it was a small thing, help came.
  2. When I push through discomfort in a new situation I find I am blessed with fantastic opportunities. I was uncomfortable at first entering that park and feeling a little out of place trying to figure out just where to put in. But I'm glad that didn't stop me! In the end I had a glorious time. The experience I gained will make it that much easier next time.
  3. When unhelpful fear pricks at your heart, acknowledge it and then kick it out the door. Don't give it energy to grow into something that paralyzes you. When I came to that dark underpass beneath the road, I really didn't like the dampness and hidden black corners. I really hesitated to pass beneath the hanging spiderwebs all alone. As silly as it was, it gave me the creeps! But of course I paddled on (as fast as I could!) and was able to continue unhindered on my course. Let's not let fear become barriers to growth and progression.
Do you have any experiences where you felt alone but help came?


Or when you've pushed through the discomfort of a new experience and felt so grateful you persevered?


Or when you didn't allow fear to stop you?


If so, I'd love you to share. Please leave a comment. I love to connect with you here!


If you would like to keep reading what you find here, please fill in your email just above my profile picture to receive a quick email with my new posts.


Have a great day and keep paddling!!!

LaRayne

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment