Monday, November 17, 2014

Kayaking in the Great Salt Lake

Paddling Through a Sea of Clouds

When I wrote this previous post about dreaming about kayaking, it was during a run of unusually warm, sunny weather in Novemer. I was dying to get out in my kayak but busy schedules and commitments made it feel impossible to go. I knew I was racing against the impending winter and knew that the coming weekend was the last of the warm days before cold would settle in for good. I so badly wanted to get out on the water somewhere!
 
I admit...I cried tears of frustration.
 
I was determined to figure out a way to go! I started making plans and a joyful MIRACLE occurred. My friend Des was able to work out her busy Mom schedule and could come with me! Not only to the Great Salt Lake on Saturday, but on an overnight excursion down to Sand Hollow in Southern Utah the following Monday and Tuesday! I was so GRATEFUL! I felt like it was a little gift from Heaven that things aligned that we could both go. Yippee!
 
I'll write about our amazing trip to Sand Hollow (in my humble opinion one of the BEST PLACES in Utah to kayak) in future posts.
 
But first...the Great Salt Lake!
Here I am with Des on the Great Salt Lake
 
I had never been to the Great Salt Lake even though I've lived in Utah most of my life (!) I know. I can't believe I have been missing out on this amazing place my whole life.
 
It was like paddling through a sea of clouds into a fiery sunset.
 
Here are the highlights:
  • When Des and I arrived at the Visitor's Center at the Antelope Island State Park we found a ranger that directed us to a peninsula near the marina with a rocky shoreline as the best place to put-in. That ranger must have thought we were pretty awesome and could handle hard things because the rocky shoreline was tough to carry the kayaks down to the water. It took serious maneuvering and fancy footwork along with some muscle to make our way over the boulders. In the picture below the rocky descent started at the fringe of grass you see.

 

  • Fremont Island was our steady friend to the right of us as we paddled west along the shore. It looked like a floating island in the sky. The changing clouds and sunlight created an everchanging picture. Every time I looked over at it the view had changed.
 
  • Behind us to the east the Wasatch Mountains reflected in the lake. It was amazing to me that from that distance they would still be mirrored on the surface of the water!
 
  • There was NO stink whatsoever! If anything, once we were on the water, there was a sweet musk smell, but it wasn't offensive. I can imagine in the cooking summer sun that smell could go bad, but in the fall it was not a problem. The temperature was about 55 degrees outside so there were no fly problems either.
 
The shore of Antelope Island
  • Bcause the water is so salty (3.5 to 8 times saltier than the ocean) there is a different feel to paddling on it. It feels thicker, like paddling through soup. It wasn't clear, but the way the sky was mirrored in it it didn't matter. This view was about the panorama, not about the water that my paddle was pushing around. It fit the silent and surreal atmosphere. There was NO wind at all. The lake's surface was truly smooth and shiny like glass.

 

My cute friend Des!
  • We arrived in the afternoon and took our time paddling the north shore heading west from the marina. We figured we only had about an hour and a half of daylight before the sunset. Our goal was to round the western tip and get a glimps of Egg Island. I had read about all the nesting birds there and wanted to see it. By the time we reached our goal, the sun was setting fast and we didn't have time to explore Egg Island. Or Bridger Bay. Next time.
As the sun set a golden light enveloped everything.

  • The crazy thing was how ironic our view of the sunset was! We were most excited to get to see the the sun set over the Great Salt Lake. We paddled into the bright bold sun and its reflection off the water for the first part of our trip. When it was time to head back to make it to the car before it was dark, our backs were to the sunset! We were in a strange position! We kept turning in circles and stopping to look behind us. Each time we looked the sky became increasingly spectacular.
  • When we reached the car and began tying up the kayaks the sky burst into glorious fire then settled into glowing embers over the lake. All we could keep saying to each other was how incredible and beautiful it was.


So our adventure to the Great Salt Lake ended with us driving home in the dark with a sense of awe at the beauty we'd been in that evening. That's the thing about kayaking. I don't feel like a spectator watching the beauty happen. I am in the beauty. It is all around me, engulfing me.
 
I wasn't disappointed at all and am already planning my next trip there. I know there is a lot more to see there from inside my kayak. I know that places have different personalities depending on the time of year and day. I am just getting to know the Great Salt Lake. I have a feeling we are going to be good friends.
 
Come back to read my upcoming posts: Kayaking Sand Hollow!
 
Until then, keep paddling!
LaRayne
 
 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful! I wanna come next time! I'm glad you two had such a fun adventure.

    ReplyDelete